The human body is complex and requires a wide range of different nutrients from food sources in order to function as it should. Advancements in scientific research have shown the world that the body does not only need a healthy dose of essential nutrients to stay healthy, but also a constant supply of compounds like antioxidants that can help to fight off cancer, heart disease, and many other health-related issues.
Protein shakes have been on the market for a very long time, offering bodybuilders the ability to increase their daily intake of quality proteins to help them grow muscle mass faster. For many years, protein shakes have remained somewhat the same.
Shakeology is a brand of protein shakes that has been developed to change the way we use protein shakes. The supplements manufactured by this company doesn’t only offer high-quality protein sources, but also a wide range of additional plant-based compounds that provides the body with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and many other compounds that can help them lose weight faster, support their metabolism, and reduce their risk of common diseases.
What Is Shakeology?
Shakeology is a protein shake that has been developed to offer the user more than what a traditional protein shake has to offer.
Apart from the proprietary protein blend found in this product, a number of additional formulas have been added for additional benefits – these formulas help to cleanse the body, improve digestion and metabolism, curb cravings, speed up weight loss, and also protect the body through the inclusion of powerful antioxidants.
The product is manufactured by Team BeachBody, a relatively popular brand that does not only focus on nutritional and sports supplements but also a wide range of training material designed to help their customers lose weight, get fit and build muscle.
This protein shake makes use of five different proprietary blends that have been combined to form one powerful product. The blends, along with their specific ingredients, are listed below.
- Protein Blend: Chia seed, Flax seed, Sacha Inchi, Quinoa, Pea extracts, and Whey protein powder.
- Phytonutrient Blend: Chlorella, Kale, Moringa, Matcha, and Spinach.
- Digestive Enzyme Blend: Chicory Root, Cellulase, Alpha-Galactosidase, Amylase, Invertase, Glucoamylase, Lactase. Bacillus coagulans has also been added to support a healthy gut microbiome.
- Adaptogen Blend: Schisandra, Maitake, Maca Root, Astragalus, Cordyceps, Ashwagandha, Chaga, Reishi.
- Antioxidant Blend: Acerola Berry, Goji Berry, Pomegranate extract, Luo Han Guo, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Camu-Camu, Bilberry, Green Tea extracts.
How To Use Shakeology?
Shakeology is a versatile protein shake. It comes in different flavors and can be prepared in a variety of different ways, based on the user’s preferences. Some users prefer to mix the powder only with water – since the shakes are all flavored, there isn’t always a need for adding extra items. The problem, however, seems like the powder does not mix well with water without the use of a blender.
Most people also find the taste on the negative side, so following one of the recipes found on the product’s website may be a good idea.
It is recommended to have one single serving of the protein shake on a daily basis – the brand recommends having the shake in the morning in order to experience its benefits through the day.
A basic option for preparing the shake is to add one serving size of the powder, together with some ice and a cup of water to a blender. Other recipes include adding unsweetened almond milk instead of water, as well as adding frozen fruit, almond butter, vanilla extracts, and other ingredients to the smoothie – essentially to make it taste better.
Shakeology Side Effects
The company behind this product states that the user will not experience any adverse reactions while using the protein shake. We were not able to find a lot of reports about side-effects experienced by previous customers on Amazon and other third-party websites.
There were, however, a lot of people who complained about feeling nauseous after drinking the shake, but the majority of these cases were blamed on the taste of the product.
Other than this, no other side-effects seem to have affected people – it should be noted, however, that since the product is no longer available on Amazon and only sold on the manufacturer’s online store, we cannot find more recent reviews to reflect a more effective overview of possible side-effects.
Is Shakeology A Scam?
We thoroughly investigated the brand’s official website, including the landing page that represents the Shakeology protein shake. Additionally, we looked at reviews and information found on third-party websites. We were able to determine that there are no specific data or reports that would classify this product or the manufacturer that makes the product a scam. Even though there are some negative comments shared regarding the product, they are not related to customers being scammed by the company.
Shakeology Reviews & Complaints
The manufacturer of this protein shake recently decided to remove their listings of the shake on third-party websites like Amazon, and only to sell it on their official web store. This makes it difficult to get a truthful overview of whether the product is effective and offers all the benefits the manufacturer claims it provides the user with.
We were able to identify a page on Amazon where the product was previously listed. The overall rating of the product on Amazon was 4.0 out of 5.0. A total of 224 customer reviews are found on this listing for the protein powdered shake.
Many people claim the product to be useful, but two particular concerns were raised – the price of the product is very high when compared to similar options that an interested person can opt for, and all the flavors that the product comes in seems to be bad-tasting.
Let’s share some of these reviews (both good and bad review).
User Danielle Griffin:
“I have used this to enhance my healthy eating habits, and I am amazed at how much my nutrition has improved over the past few years. I find myself feeling more energy and wanting to make healthier choices.”
User Laura J Soofi:
“I have been drinking Shakeology for over a year now. By far chocolate is my favorite flavor, but I like the vanilla and strawberry too. Not only has it given me such dense nutrition every single day, but my energy level is higher, I have fewer cravings, and it even improves my overall mood.”
User Karah Piscitelli:
“… Since starting Shakeology, I’m no longer irregular and feel SO much better…”
User Elliot Shemtov wasn’t too happy with this product:
“You can go to GNC or Vitamine Shoppe and get a great protein shakes for 20-40 dollars. The cheaper shakes taste great and have way more protein, less sugar and more necessary ingredients like glutamine and BCAA’s…”
Another user also didn’t like this product:
“Purchased a sample pack from Shakeology, only have tried the chocolate so far. DISGUSTING! Blah! So gross – don’t waste your money.”
Shakeology: Packages, Prices & Where To Buy It
These protein shakes come in a variety of flavors and sizes to suit not only the budget of the interested individual but also their taste buds. A popular option provided by this brand is the bulk bag, which contains a supply of the protein shake that will last a total of 30 days (based on the dosage recommendations printed on the back of the pack). A relatively new option, known as the “sampler,” was also introduced to help people get a taste of what this product can offer them without having to invest in a bulk package.
The product has a listing on Amazon but does not seem to be available on this platform anymore. The company profile page for the brand on the Amazon platform has also been wiped out as it contains no listed ingredients or details about the brand.
This means that, at the moment, the only way to buy products that are made by the Shakeology brand is to visit the Team BeachBody online store. This is the website that sells this protein shake, as well as a number of fitness and training courses produced by the Team BeachBody team.
The product is presented in different packages on the Team BeachBody online shopping portal, ensuring that the customer is able to choose the ideal option for them – taking into consideration whether they want to test the product or use it in the long-term, as well as how much they can spend and, of course, what flavor they prefer.
The pricing of the product is as follow:
- 30-day Bulk Bag: $129.95
- Individual Packages (24 packets): $129.95
These prices do not include shipping and handling fees, which will be added to an order’s total during the checkout process. These extra charges depending on where the product will be sent
Money Back Guarantee & Refund Policy
Shakeology comes with a guarantee that they like to call the “bottom of the bag” guarantee. The brand has decided to include a 30-day period for new customers during which they can use the shake on a daily basis for an entire month. After the month, the customer can decide whether they want to continue using the product or rather request a refund treat.
It should be noted that the refund processed and submitted to the customer will be less than the amount of money they spent on the product, as the company will deduct fees for shipping and handling. We could not find any reports or reviews related to the refund process of the product. Generally, the brand promises to make the process as streamlined and painless as possible.
- This product takes protein shakes to a new level by not only providing the user with top-quality protein sources in a convenient drink but also by including a number of essential nutrients and certain plant-based compounds that can aid in offering the user a boost in their general health.
- The primary ingredients used in these protein shakes, which mainly consists of fiber and protein, have been carefully selected based on the quality of the ingredients they are sourced from, as well as their ability to help speed up metabolism, while also aiding in the journey to successful, long-term weight maintenance.
- Many shakes on the market only come in a single flavor. Many of these brands do tend to offer both strawberry and a chocolate flavor. With Shakeology, however, the user is presented with a very large variety of different flavors they can choose from. These flavors are not made with potentially harmful toxic substances, but rather with natural agents.
- All of the fruits and other ingredients used to formulate this protein shake have a low glycemic index rating, which means the product will not cause the user’s blood sugar levels to be adversely affected.
- The money-back guarantee offered by this product ensures the user can get the majority of the money they spend on the product back if they do not like it.
- The biggest disadvantage of this protein shake would definitely be its price. The price is much higher than the majority of other protein shakes on the market. This is also the most common complaint we found on third-party websites where the product is listed, including Amazon.
- Most people who have purchased this supplement and tried it before reports that it tastes very bad. Even the chocolate and other flavors that are supposed to be sweet and tasteful are reported to be difficult to swallow. A lot of users claim that the taste of the shake makes them nauseous.
- The product is limited to only a selected number of countries due to restrictions that have been set in place regarding the shipping policies of the brand.
- While the product was available on the Amazon global marketplace for some time, the brand has removed all of their listings and decided only to sell these shakes on the official Team BeachBody website. Many people prefer to buy from Amazon, a trusted online retailer, as compared to an online store they have not heard of or used in the past.
Shakeology Review: Final Verdict
A lot of companies have launched protein shakes to help their customers gain the advantage of protein – for both weight loss and muscle growth. Unfortunately, a lot of these products fail to meet the standards required for a user to benefit from the contents of the shake.
Shakeology is a nutritional protein shake that does not only deliver a dose of high-quality whey protein but is also packed with additional ingredients that deliver important nutrients.
The product seems to have a lot of potentials, but, at the same time, some red flags have been lifted.
We offered a comprehensive overview of this protein shake so our reader can decide for themselves is this is a good option for them – or not.